Sports and Energy Drinks
Sports drinks, such as the range offered under the Powerade brand, ensure an adequate hydration level and contain carbohydrates and mineral salts to replace those lost during sport or other physical activity.
During intense physical exercise three elements are essential: water, carbohydrates and minerals. A good combination of these elements provides energy and ensures adequate hydration.
Sports drinks have been designed to provide:
- Water: for proper re-hydration. The body loses water during physical exercise in order to regulate body temperature and prevent it from rising
- Carbohydrates: during physical activity carbohydrates (or sugars) are the main fuel used by the body. Sports drinks contain an appropriate amount of carbohydrates to provide energy for muscular activity
- Mineral salts: (particularly sodium) to enhance the absorption of water and carbohydrates and to compensate for the loss of sodium caused by perspiration
The ingredients help people to achieve their best performance. It is important that sports drinks are pleasant tasting in order to encourage their consumption and ultimately provide hydration.
Powerade was launched in Ireland in 2001, and is available in Berry & Tropical Fruit (Blue), Mango (Orange), and Kiwi & Watermelon (Green) variants.
Since the beginning of 2007, Powerade has been the fastest growing sports drink in both NI and ROI.
Energy drinks like BPM provide vigorous consumers with an extra boost while leading an active lifestyle ‘during the day… and night’.
Designed for adults, energy drinks usually contain the following main ingredients:
- Sugar, a source of energy
- Caffeine, a mild stimulant in combination with sugar, it is known as being particularly energising and invigorating
- Vitamin B
- Taurine, glucuronolactone and inositol (depending on the local adaptation)
BPM Energy is an energy drink for every day. It provides consumers with the energy to stay ahead of any challenge.
Relentless offers ‘No Half Measures’ energy, for those with a ‘No Half Measures’ approach to work and play!
Back to top